Wednesday, November 16, 2016

A Tremendous Spark

Hey there everyone!! I've been away for awhile, but I really have a desire to write something down after today's adventures. You know where you have an experience that just impacts you in the best way possible, where you have so much positive energy that you're not entirely sure what to do with it? In short: that's what I'm feeling right now. I've been gleaming with positivity and I thought the best way to channel it was through a blog post.
A few hours ago my classmates and I returned from a show called: A Modern Concert performed by the Meyerhold Center. Side note, I haven't really kept up on reviewing the shows we've seen, but I will write an entire post dedicated to detailing the shows we've seen. Continuing on, this show was about 2 hours worth of musical review from the 1920's-present day; and it was phenomenal. Most songs were in English, some were in Russian, French, and Italian. Each and everyone was beautiful and different. They preformed Elvis Presley, an emotional acapella version of "Yesterday" by the Beatles, Abba, Queen, a jazz version of "Billie Jean", Adele and many more. All the while a young man dressed in each sort of military uniform in the given era, until finally he marries the woman he loves. It was a powerful message to me about music's influence and the transition of youth and separation cause by foreign conflicts.
One big thing I've noticed in Moscow is that most music I hear is American or music in English. I asked a few of my Russian friends and they responded that they like the way it sounds. I thought it was odd, because in my head I was thinking that since it's in English, some people wouldn't understand the point of the song. I told myself it doesn't really matter if you understand something or not, when you like something you like something. I've felt that way with songs that I hear what they're talking about, but I don't know what it is they're saying till I look it up. A few hours ago, I had a revelation: music is the one thing that will always bring unity to different cultures of people.
I sat in an audience with people I did not know, most of whom spoke an entirely different language as me. But they were the ones I was able light wave with to "Hotel California". They were also the ones I was able to rock out with to a Russian song I didn't know the name of; and that was an amazing thing. Being able to to feel like having a community with unknown faces for one common event was a beautiful moment.
Recently, a lot has changed for me, my friends and my home country of America. No matter how different people are, music can always bring people together. It was the way we first communicated: just by creating sounds and rhythms to try and evoke emotion in ourselves and others. Music is a beautiful gift that has a mighty power.

Listening to the rhythm of a beat,
and the movement of the feet,
inspires a tremendous spark
That unities our separated hearts.

1 comment:

  1. As I keep repeating for two weeks: make your own kind of music!
    And yes, I cannot but agree, it doesnt matter what language a song is written in, but the bridges and links created by music will last for ages.

    Xx

    Nadia

    ReplyDelete